Monday, February 22, 2010

Lead Post: Challenging Our Thinking

So I did the readings and I really didn't know what I wanted to blog about. I mean, I see the same occurring themes: genitals obviously don't determine the gender, gender is more complex than genitals, etc, etc. This information I pretty much knew. However, I realized how much the readings put these themes into perspective....and how much I keep learning. Before taking this class, I was ignorant to intersexuality. I was ignorant as to how gender and gender roles played such a major factor in determining one's sex. Then I realized how many people out there must be ignorant like me. I mean, intersex, gender, and genitals aren't exactly dinner conversation (although with my group of friends it is). Sterling offered so many facts and views on intersex, discussing as how it was seen as a defect, how it needs to be "fixed". Why does it need to be "fixed"? Yes, it's different from the so called "norm", but if a intersex baby is healthy, then what does it matter if itheir genitals don't prescribe to a specific gender? Then, I thought how different it would be if our society became educated about intersex, and how common it actually is. Sterling provides evidence that shows it is not a rare condition as we think it to be. She even offers that it could be linked to genetics (as we see in Cal in Middlesex). Yet there is the idea of fixing, which, if we came to realize, there is actually nothing wrong. Sterling discusses how technological advances have made it possible to screen out a particular gene, CAH, which is linked to intersex, Spotting this gene early could help "correct" the genital "defect" of the baby. Many parents choose to have the "correction" take place. This is basically due so that the baby can prescribe to one of the two genders. It's all done in the name of gender. It's amazing how much gender plays a role in our society, in our lives. Even in Middlesex, we see the power gender as between Zismo and Lina. Zismo believes that it is his wife's duty to give him children even though Lina isn't ready (Middlesex pg. 91). Our society has become so constructed around gender and gender roles that if one cannot identify to one specific gender they are the outcast. They are seen as deviant from societal norms and must be fixed. Well, maybe they aren't deviant. Maybe they're nature's way of challenging our thinking and bringing us to our senses.

2 comments:

  1. I would have to agree with Lee in regards to the reoccurring theme that “gender is more complex than gentials,” especially from Fausto-Sterling’s chapter. As for Middlesex, we get to learn more about the inbreeding that has occurred in Cal’s family. Her grandparents are brother and sister, while her parents are first cousins and how this mostly is the cause of her condition. Before last class I did not know how to classify intersex. I think condition is more suitable than disease or disorder. The example of Zismo segregating his house and forcing Lina to act in a gender appropriate manner perfectly displays how much our society cares about gender roles and how the norm is considered the 2-sex system. I also found it interesting when after Zismo dies/disappears, Lefty imposes Zismo’s rules of segregation because he was upset with Desdemona.

    I never considered intersex in the way that Fausto-Sterling discusses in her book. For example, I was not aware of all the different types of surgeries one can choose from, either to hide the penis or reduce it. I believe the controversy surrounding prenatal fixing is one that will never be resolved. Obviously a parent wants the best for their child, thus they believe that by fixing the condition immediately will save them the horror of going through it later in life. However, they are cases when doctor’s fix a baby’s sex and then at puberty their hormone levels are different the fixed sex. Therefore, the young adult begins to go through changes that are not in alignment with their sex. I think a child should have a say in what happens to their body, but then is it worth them going through abuse and constant ridiculing by other kids?

    The issue surrounding appropriate gender roles is very complex and will never end. The 2-sex system is the basis for many things we experience on a day-to-day basis. Going to the bathroom, roommates in college, clothing, hair-styles, and mannerisms to name a few. What would our society be without them? Is it worth attempting to change these roles that we have been a part of our society for so long? How can we go about this process without creating more controversy? Furthermore, can we really survive in a society without gender specifics and just rely on unisex? Not to be a pessimistic or anything, I just do not see our society changing. I almost think this 2-sex system keeps everything more ordered and defined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea that nature is creating intersex people to challenge the way we understand "nature." Its like nature is laughing at us. But I think it serves as a constant reminder that we are expressions of "nature." That we are animals controlled by natural forces and our behaviors are less "natural" and more socially constructed. Just like the corset, gender norms squeeze people into shapes they are not "naturally" meant to take. I see Marissa's point that it will be challenging and difficult to forgo the "natural" 2-sex system, but we aren't fitting into it anyway. In a dream world society would burn its corset and we would have not anarchy but inclusive community. More manageable we could loosen society's corset and allow an "other" gender. Either way, society is busting out of its corset and we need to do something about it.

    ReplyDelete