Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Anti - Choice

No matter what the context, abortion is always a touchy subject. You always have those who are extreme pro - choice, extreme pro - life, or the people that are wavering in the middle. Various laws have been passed throughout history that have either legalized abortion or put some type of restriction on it. The article we read for today was about strong anti - abortion laws being put into place in Nebraska. In my opinion these laws that are being proposed are completely ridiculous. Im not sure what all goes through the mind of a woman that is getting an abortion, but I assume that they are probably confused and might not be completely certain about their decision. The laws that are being proposed would require doctors to give the women an evaluation about their mental health and decide wheter or not the women could undergo the abortion. Basically the doctors are boing forced to persuade the women into not gettin the abortions done. If nebraska is going to have abortion clinics I think it is absolutely ridiculous that they are forcing the doctors to persuade their clients into not going through with the act. In no way whatsoever am I rooting for abortion right now, but I also don't think its right that the doctors would try to influence their clients.

3 comments:

  1. Mink's article about welfare and single mothers was shocking. I never would have thought that single mothers wouldn't receive a proportionate amount of money as any other group of people would. How could the Personal Responsibility Act have passed so easily? There seemed to be little to no opposition to it and many feminists even supported it. I feel that our country needs to do more to help single mothers because it takes two to make a baby and why should one have to suffer for the rest of her life when she already went through 9 months of hell? Fathers of these babies should want to help out the mothers because its their genes too and doesn't everyone want their genes to succeed?

    As Mink points out, welfare acts as a "safety net" by being an "income substitute" for mothers who cannot work enough to fully support her child alone. In a way it is giving them a bit of freedom in their actions and allowing autonomy. However, how can your government evaluate which mothers need this welfare from others who will go spend it on drugs, alcohol, and clothes? There needs to be a way for this money to be better spent.

    As for the Nebraska abortion laws, I cannot believe that a doctor is forced to give the patient a mental health screening just because she is asking for an abortion. It seems as though Nebraska is trying to prevent women from getting abortions by preventing another barrier from something that should be a woman's choice. It is her body and as long as the fetus it not at a viable stage to live, then she should be able to make her own decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie also made an interesting argument about the abortion laws but I would like to take it a step further. If a woman is deemed too mentally unstable to have an abortion, how could she possibly be stable enough to have children? While an abortion is very mentally disturbing, having a child is 10fold. Even if the woman puts the child up for adoption, knowing that the child exists will constantly weigh on the mother's mind. Obviously the woman is desperate if she wants an abortion, so why make her even more desperate by examining her mental capabilities?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If a woman has made the heartwrenching decision to have an abortion, I think that it is safe to assume that she has put a lot of thought into it. For this reason, I agree that the anti-abortion laws in Nebraska are ridiculous. I am definitely an advocate of pro-choice, and as such do not think that doctors should be pressuring women not to get abortions. Educating women on abortions would be a great policy, so long as the information is not biased, as we have heard occurs. Furthermore, I think Lindsey makes a great point: if a woman is too mentally unstable for an abortion, then how will she fare when the child is born?

    ReplyDelete